IUVB

IUVB

Lebo shines at IU

Former Slicer standout Bayli Lebo is dominating on the court for Indiana University in her sophomore season, finding herself as the starting libero for the Hoosiers and landing on three All-Tournament teams.

IU has started off their season well, with a current record of 10-3. The Hoosiers most recently beat Northwestern 3-1 Friday, earning their first Big Ten win of the season. On Sunday, IU took #8 Illinois to five games.  So far the Hoosiers are on track to have much better season than last year, having only won 12 games. 

This season is the first one for new coach Steve Aird, and along with that comes new expectations. “The New IU” is the slogan being used throughout the program, and this does not just account for the new volleyball stadium being built. Aird wants IU to be one of the premiere programs in the country. Lebo is completely on board with those lofty plans.

“My goals for this season is to help flip the IU volleyball program around and make it an ideal volleyball destination for elite athletes,” Lebo said.

Lebo’s goal is certainly working hard to make that a reality. The former Slicer currently leads the Hoosiers in services aces, digs, and digs per set according to the Indiana University volleyball website. Lebo is also 6th in the Big Ten, a top volleyball conference in the country, in digs per game, according to the Big Ten women’s volleyball website.

Lebo’s life has been tied closely to volleyball since she was born. With her mom serving at LPHS coach for over 20 years, Lebo grew up in Slicer Gym, watching many LPVB greats compete at the highest level. One of those great even happened to live in the same house as her. Lebo’s sister Taylor shined for LPVB and the Hoosiers as well.

Lebo would accompany Taylor and family on IU visits and Hoosier volleyball matches, and Lebo’s love for Bloomington and the program blossomed. What might have been the greatest attraction was the unmatched competition of the Big Ten.

“I had always dreamed of playing in the Big Ten and for my dreams to become a reality was unreal,” Lebo said.

In only her second year, Lebo is making her mark on a program that’s working hard to move up the ranks in an ultra competitive conference.

Lebo and the IU volleyball program are still working on their craft and look to accomplish lofty goals. Their record is proving an uptick in commitment and hard work. Their next game is on Wednesday, September 26th, against Ohio State in Columbus.

2,368 total views, 4 views today