$1.50 for 150

LaPorte High School is celebrating its 150th graduating class this year, and students and staff are showing their school spirit through t-shirts sold at an unbelievably low price: $1.50.

The idea of selling shirts at such a low cost originated from Joe Ruiz, a LPHS business and marketing teacher and Student Council coordinator.

“I saw that it was the 150th year and it just came to me. I said, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool if we could get some businesses to underwrite the he cost of shirts that we could then sell for $1.50.’ $1.50 for 150!” Ruiz said.

Ruiz discussed his thoughts with Matthew Presley, College and Career Readiness Coordinator, and the idea became a reality.

Generous donors such as Friedman and Associates, Jimmy Johns and Kaiser Auto provided the school with enough money to cover the cost of all t-shirts. In exchange for their donations, business logos were displayed on the back of the shirts as well as placed on signs held by Student Council members at the Homecoming parade.

While the shirts were sold at a low price, the money did not go to waste. Selling t-shirts became a fundraiser for Student Council, and all money will go towards their expenses throughout the year.

Shirts have been a huge hit for staff, students, and families around the community. Beginning with 1,000, all shirts were sold in under two weeks, providing funds to Student Council and support to the LPHS football team.

LPHS appreciates all donors for making the shirts possible. Special thanks go to Friedman & Associates P.C., 1st Source Bank, General Insurance Services, Greater LaPorte Economic Development Corporation, Hire a Slicer, Horizon Bank, Jimmy Johns, Kaiser Auto, Region Press, Star Uniform, and Re/Max 1st for their generosity and support.