La Porte falls at Homecoming

The Slicers lost to the Crown Point Bulldogs on Friday, September 28, with a final score of 24-21.

With the regular season coming to an end, the Slicers have a record of 2-5, with their only wins being against Chesterton and Lake Central. Unfortunately, this was not what the Slicers and Coach David Sharpe were looking for.

“[The season] hasn’t gone how I’ve wanted it to, but they’re still my brothers, and I still love this team,” senior captain Noah Perez said.

Despite this upsetting season, there were still a few players who have stood out among the rest. Junior running back Isaac Alexander leads the team in rushing yards with 501 so far this season and Perez leads in total tackles with 68.

“Isaac Alexander is doing something that hasn’t been done at La Porte in quite some time.  He has played almost every snap this year on offense, defense, and special teams. We usually don’t ask this much out of any single individual, but Isaac is a special type of player,” Dave Sharpe, head coach, said.

Friday night was the big Homecoming. The first quarter started off rather slow, with neither team managing to score a single point. With 11 minutes left to play in the first half, the Bulldogs were able to get an eight yard touchdown pass to score the first six points of the game. Bulldogs kicker Hunter Mccrorie would make the extra point, and the first half ended with a score of 7-0.

Although the Slicers kept it close until the end of the game, it ended with a final of Crown Point 24 and La Porte 21.

The Slicers gave it their all to come out with a win on Friday, and the final score showed not only that they fought, but it showed growth in their play.

“I played the best I could [at Homecoming],” Alexander said.

Come out to support the Slicers’ next game against their arch-rival Michigan City Wolves on Friday, October 5th at 7:00 PM in Michigan City.