PSAT in LaPorte High School

All Indiana juniors, sophomores, and freshman took part in the PSAT on October 10th.

According to the Indiana Department of Education, the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test is a standardized test administered by the College Board and co-sponsored by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation in the United States. The Indiana Department of Education covers the cost for all grade 10 and grade 11 students. Younger students are also eligible to take the test, but this is not covered by IDOE. The scores from the PSAT/NMSQT are used to determine eligibility and qualification for the National Merit Scholarship Program.

“LPHS uses PSAT as a preparation tool for the SAT. We also use it for AP Potential; it highlights those students who are likely to do well in certain AP classes the following year. The State of Indiana also uses it as a tool to highlight academic areas that need to be approved upon,” Mrs. Hunt, assistant principal of K-12 counseling, said.

Top scores on this test have the potential to qualify students not only for the National Merit Scholarship Program but also for substantial scholarships at many different colleges.

The PSAT for 9th and 10th grade cohorts utilizes another opportunity for students to practice high stakes testing. In order to receive a diploma, 9th and 10th grade students will still use the ISTEP graduation testing regimen as one part of the graduation requirements.  The more we can give students experiences in high stakes testing the more comfortable they will be, which will hopefully be beneficial in their scoring outcomes,” Mr. Upp, associate principal, said.

With PSAT preparation being very prevalent within classrooms leading up to test day, many students might have misunderstanding about why they are required to take the test.

“I would say that many see it as ‘just another test,’ and it would make more sense to take a regular SAT and then go from there. I see the PSAT as being a great test drive of the real test (a shorter version) with the benefits of a study guide/plan after. I encourage all students to follow up with their test scores to make a SAT plan afterward. The PSAT is a great tool,” Hunt said.

PSAT results and scoring will be able to be viewed around December 10, 2018.