Boys soccer season ends

The LaPorte Slicers boys soccer team ended their season with an overall record of 4-12, with a conference record of 0-7.

This season was not what the team or coach Patrick McCoy was hoping for.

“Our record of 4-12 was disappointing and doesn’t reflect the quality of the players and the team overall,” McCoy said.

Despite an underwhelming season, the team still had a few bright spots. The team’s leading scorer were Joe Keiley, a sophomore, and junior Carlos Segovia, who each tallied 4 goals this season. Their leading goalie was senior Diego Magana, who averaged 7 saves per game through the first 13 games of the season.

“We were able to move the ball well in our defensive half, we just needed to get shots on goal,” Krause said.

To kick off their season, the Slicers faced off against Hammond Clark on August 13th at LaPorte High School and pulled of their first win of the season with a 2-0 win. Their next win wouldn’t come until they played Hobart on August 25th in Hobart. The game ended with a score of 4-1, but in their next game facing off against Crown Point they lost with a score of 10-1.

The team’s last win of the season came against Mishawaka on September 22nd, with a win of 1-0. For their final regular season game on September 26th they took a tough loss against DAC superpower Chesterton with a final score of 0-4. In their final game of the year, the Slicers played in the IHSAA Class 3A Boys Soccer State Tournament but were knocked out in the first round by the Penn Kingsmen.

“I thought we’d do better this season, we just weren’t as good as we thought we’d be,” sophomore Javier Robles said.

Although this year’s soccer program doesn’t look great on the surface, they did put in lots of hard work and dedication. The Slicers were able to defeat La Lumiere High School, who had an overall record of 12-5 and went undefeated in their division, by a score of 4-1.