Bowling team begins 2018 season

The LaPorte High School Bowling team has begun its 2018 season and is holding an impressive record.

The girls’ team is defending a 4-0 record while the boys stand at 3-1. Even with exceptional records, there is always plenty of room for improvement, especially with the goals those on the team have set.

“I hope we come out on top. This is our year, and we have the potential to take it all,” Haleigh Sowards, senior, said.

Both the boys and girls teams have finished with great records in previous years, but the Slicers look to finish this season stronger than ever before. With the teams already gathering their wins, and the girls defeating teams such as Valparaiso and Michigan City, the 2018 season is on track to be one to remember.

“Hopefully we finish in first in the division,” Kennedy Phelps, freshman, said.

The majority of the teammates agree that their favorite part of the season is the meets, where the bowlers come together and show what they work hard preparing for.

The bowlers have not only been impressing supporters through their meets, though; their pre-season tournament results speak for themselves.

The girls and boys both moved past the first cut at the Pre-Season Bowl-O-Rama in Merrillville, missing the second cut by only a few pins. The girls also took their talent to a pre-season tournament in South Bend and made the first cut, missing the second by just one pin, finishing tied for 5th place.
As the bowlers continue reaching their goals and putting in work, their eye is on one thing: postseason. With majority of the girl’s team being seniors, and multiple seniors on the boy’s team as well, the team expects to continue the season strong in hopes of concluding with a strong ending.

The girls look to continue their undefeated record on November 1st against Portage High School at Inman’s Bowling & Recreation Center while the boys take on Lake Station.