Girls soccer closes season

All things must come to an end.

The girls’ soccer team closed out their 2018 season with an overall record of 6-8-2 and a Duneland Athletic Conference record of 2-5.

Many people have had mixed feelings about their season. Some players think they played well and gave it their all on the field.

“I was very happy. Our team played really well,” Melissa Osornio, sophomore, said.

Others were disappointed with their overall record, but were still content with the effort they put into the games and practices.

“I guess you could say I was a little disappointed, but I can say that by the end of the season, we got better,” Lauren Pollock, sophomore, said.

To open the team’s regular season, the Slicers played an away match against Kankakee Valley. The game ended with a peculiar final score of 0-0. After that, the team went on a hot streak. They won three games in a row before they eventually lost their next five straight, scoring in only one goal during that time.

After their losing streak, the Slicers came back hot once again, beating South Bend Washington 11-0 and South Bend Clay 12-0. To end the season, the team took a 4-0 loss to the Chesterton Trojans.

For their Sectional game, the girls played against Mishawaka’s Penn High School, who was ranked 5th in the state at the time and has won State the past two seasons. Despite the 4-0 loss, team coach John White still felt they played well.

“They came together to play against a nationally ranked team and played really, really well,” White said.

One player who played above and beyond this season was sophomore goaltender Grace Holt. Before this season she had never played goalie, and her coach and senior teammate Megan Blank were impressed with her growth.

“I feel like Grace Holt did extremely well and really stepped up this season. We needed a goalie and she had never played that position, but she trained very hard and became a huge part of why we were so successful,” Blank said.

As well as Holt, coach White felt that Blank had a great season. She led the team in goals as a defender and played half of the season with a broken arm.

As for the future, the team hopes to continue to play better and better as their high school years go by.

“I’m looking forward to the new diversity and growing as a team together,” Holt said.