Gits shines at State

Senior track and cross country standout Mitchell Gits placed 17th at the IHSAA State Finals on Saturday, October 27th.

Gits clocked in with a personal best of 16:10.8 which was first among runners in the DAC, with the nearest conference runner coming out of Crown Point placing 18th. Gits’ placement at the State Finals landed him All-State honors. During the postseason he was Sectional runner-up, Regional champion, and made the All Semi-State team. He will also be running for the Indiana All-Star Running Club in Kettering, Ohio on November 17th.

Mitchell has shown much improvement since his freshman year where he ran a personal best of 18:12. He went from a young runner many people hadn’t heard of to the number one star of the LaPorte Cross Country team.

“Mitchell’s performance and improvement was absolutely phenomenal. He put in a lot of work this summer and saw great improvement. He was always in the top finishing group and was even able to win Regionals this year as an individual,” Corbin Slater, cross country coach, said.

Mitchell’s impact doesn’t only show up in his race times but in the team around him as well. Being a senior, he is a big leader for his teammates, especially the younger runners such as sophomore runner Remi Cernel.

“I think he makes the team a much better place because he’s so great,” Cernel said.

Mitchell and team prepared heavily for the IHSAA State Tournament, and part of that preparation can be accredited to his coach, Corbin Slater.

“I believe coach definitely got the ball rolling for Sectionals, then we just progressively kept getting better going into Regionals, Semi-State, and eventually State,” Gits said.

One thing’s for sure, Gits’ has a bright future in running Track and Cross Country.

“I plan to run for four more years in college, but I’m not really sure where I want to run yet,” Gits said.