LPMB finished season as State Runner-up

The La Porte High School Marching Band and Color Guard finished its season as State Runner up on October 27.

The Scholastic Class A finals was set to be held in Indianapolis at Lawrence Central High School on October 20, 2018 but was rescheduled a week later due to intense weather conditions. This gave La Porte another week to prepare for the competition.

La Porte took advantage of the extra week, making the final tweaks to its Chorus Line themed performance, keeping all eyes on the prize: State Finals.

“A lot of things started to gel [to stick] that last week. Since there was no new information, things were much cleaner. Lines were straighter, crescendos reached their goal! It was a huge week for us,” Mr. Sullivan, LPMB co-director, said.

The extra time also helped the color guard work through last minute kinks to prepare for State. The color guard is a vital piece of what makes LPMB as successful as it is.

“I think the color guard has grown incredibly well over these past few months, even with the weather getting in the way sometimes. Everyone was pretty proactive when it was raining, or very windy, and I’m glad that we made it through every show feeling satisfied and knowing that we did everything we could to make the performances great,” Jasmine Callahan, color guard captain, said.

The rescheduled State Finals contest was hosted by Mt. Vernon High School in Fortville, Indiana. Competing against 13 other bands, La Porte was the 10th band to lay it all on the field.

After the band performed, almost everyone agreed that it was the best run of the season, including head band director, Mr. Stisher.

The band knew that no matter what happened, they would have no regrets. Little did they know, a sweet surprise would occur in the near future.

“There are some really good bands, so naturally, once they are announcing fifth, fourth, and then third, your mind wanders to the negatives like, ‘Wow, I don’t think we placed,’” Areonna Oberle, drum captain, said. “You just hold hands with your band mates, close your eyes, and be close with each other in case you don’t place in the top five,”

Then, to the band’s surprise, La Porte was crowned State Runner-up.

“I was a little surprised when I heard the announcer call La Porte for second place. I knew the band could do well, but as soon as she called La Porte, everything felt real.” Sam Shei, mellophone section leader, said.

Being awarded second place in the state was definitely the icing on the cake for an already successful season.