Slicer Newsroom

Operation Christmas at Sea

Emily Conrad, Staff Writer

It’s being to feel a lot like Christmas thanks to Operation Christmas at Sea.

Operation Christmas at Sea is a project that works to collect and fill shoebox care packages and ship them off to the Sailors and Marines aboard the USS Arlington for the holidays.

This idea was brought to the table by Blair Milo, former La Porte mayor and current Secretary of Career Connections and Talent, and one of her former shipmates, CDR Greg Grubbs. Grubbs is the Executive Officer aboard the Arlington.

Milo and Grubbs were deployed together and know how hard it can be to be away from home over the holidays.

“The year we were deployed together the Bethany Lutheran Church family sent shoeboxes to the 330 sailors on our ship, and it made the season brighter for every Sailor on our ship to have that kind of love and support from a community where every Sailor got a holiday present, we and wanted to share that joy with the Sailors and Marines of the USS Arlington who are putting their country first this holiday season,” Milo said.

These shoe boxes are filled with non-perishable items and snacks for the Sailors and Marines serving aboard the ship. Some examples of items the Sailors and Marines find enjoyable are ramen noodles and microwave popcorn. Personal items would also be greatly appreciated like deodorant and sunscreen.

The shoeboxes are currently being collected now up until Veterans Day. Bethany Lutheran Church, Best Western, the Civic Auditorium, and/or Suds on State laundromat are all accepting shoebox donations.

They are accepting financial donations as well if anyone is unable to fill a shoebox. The money collected from donations would be greatly appreciated to help buy items to include in the boxes and cover shipping costs. There are empty boxes available at the Civic.

“Having a shoebox with some treats because a stranger appreciates your service enough to send it helps remind Sailors and Marines that the sacrifice they’re making is appreciated and exemplifies what the season is truly about,” Milo said.

These care packages have a great impact on the many Sailors and Marines aboard the USS Arlington. The holidays are a special time to be spent with loved ones, and if these heroes have to be away, it’s important that some love is shipped their way.

About the Writer
Emily Conrad, Staff Writer

Meet Emily Conrad, one of our sophomore writers. She has two brothers and is involved with Poms and Tennis. Emily would describe herself as talkative, funny, and outgoing. Some of her interests include dancing, reading, and shopping. Her favorite subject in school is English, and she plans to follow her high school career by going to college.

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Community

America votes for the future in Midterm Election

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Academics

Crichfield hosts Lunch with a Vet

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Clubs

91st National FFA Convention and Expo

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Arts

LPMB finished season as State Runner-up

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Community

Tuholski Farms

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Community

150 years: 150 acts of service

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Community

A special trick-or-treat

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Arts

LPHS Performing Arts Center opens

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Community

Serving smiles for a century

• Operation Christmas at Sea

Calendar

La Porte Political Action Committee (LPAC) to Host Candidates Forum on Oct. 11

Operation Christmas at Sea