Crichfield hosts Lunch with a Vet

Crichfield hosts Lunch with a Vet

The Crichfield cafeteria was full of heroes on Monday as the school hosted its first Lunch with a Veteran Day.

Close to 100 veterans filed in and out throughout the day to share a meal with their Cougar family members. The heroes found themselves sitting side-by-side with other vets who fought in wars ranging from Vietnam to Iraq.

Crichfield principal Donna Biggs wanted to do something different to pay tribute to those who served, and the Lunch with a Veteran idea came to mind. She was not sure how many people would show up, but each day she saw the list of attendees grow.

“We were thrilled with the turnout. It was touching to see how proud the students were to host their special guests. It was an honor to celebrate our Veterans!“ Biggs said.

The idea was clearly a success. Smiling Crichfield students led their esteemed guests to designated tables decked out in red, white, and blue. They shared mini corn dogs–a Cougar favorite–and were able to catch up on how the day was going.

“I love any opportunity to spend time with my grandkids,” veteran and Crichfield grandparent David McAlpine said.

While there were many grandparents who visited, the lunch room was also filled with uncles, fathers, mothers, and cousins. Former Master Sergeant Anna M. Lloyd of the United State Marine Corps traveled from Carmel to spend time with 3rd grader Sophie Bush. Lloyd’s resume is lengthy and incredibly impressive, but family was the first thing on her mind.

“My dad raised his seven children to be close even with our cousins. When Sophie asked her mom, I said I could be there,” Lloyd, also accompanied by her veteran father, said.

Regardless of if they had a special guest or not, all staff and students were encouraged to wear patriotic attire. In what was a touching moment, each lunch Biggs led the students in a heartfelt thank you and round of applause for the attendees. The students had some waves and salutes given back in return.

What started out as just an idea turned into an event that students and service members are sure to remember. Crichfield Elementary staff and students send a wholehearted thank you to all those who have served the country with such bravery and selflessness.