New Year at Speech

New Year at Speech

With a new director and a fresh batch of competitors, there’s no debate LaPorte’s speech year will be great.

The first and second speech competitions were held at Munster on Saturday, November 2nd and at Chesterton on Saturday, November 9th.  The competition was fierce, scaling several hours and many different rounds. In the end, LaPorte dominated in speech, the novices taking some of the top spots in discussion.  Debate members have also been performing extremely well.

“They’re getting there.  It takes time, it takes practice, and it takes a lot of work effort, and they need to continue doing that.” Mrs Arney, Debate coach, said.

The speech members who specialized in Discussion placed fourth, third, second, and even first, which is the highest LaPorte’s been in years.

The new blood have not just impressed themselves, but also the veterans of the sport. Kamui Mitchell, a senior in varsity, who has been in speech for three years.

“I feel the novices did very well.  They definitely exceeded my expectations,” Mitchell said.

Their success could be contributed to a multiple of factors.  Maybe it was the new mentality of the novices or possibly new leadership.  This year marks Miss Baugh’s first year as a speech coach, and if these results are anything to go by, she’s doing a great job.  

She, along with Mrs. Arney, Debate coach, and Mr. Wszolek, other Speech coach, have been working the students extensively with preparing, editing, and perfecting their pieces and performances.

“It’s a lot of fun. It’s challenging, but it’s fun.” Baugh said after the first competition.

Speech is a fluent art that almost anyone can participate and connect with. It is a way of life for most people and connects different cultures and ideas.  Every individual on the team views it with honor and gratitude.

“I love that everyone has a chance to express themselves regardless of what they’re interested in,” Baugh said.

With the new ranks as impressive as they are, let’s hope that the team can keep the momentum and guide the Speech team to a successful year and even a shot at State.

If anyone would like to sign up for Speech next year, talk to Miss Baugh in 5.11 or Mr. Wszolek in room J.10.  If students would like to join Debate, they should talk to Linda Arney in J.22.