Five Slicers up for Lilly Scholarship

Five Slicers up for Lilly Scholarship

Five LaPorte High School students have been selected as finalists for the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship for the 2018-2019 school year.

The Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship provides four-year, full-tuition scholarships to selected students from each Indiana county. Each scholarship must be used to pursue a baccalaureate degree at any accredited public or private Indiana college or university. One boy and one girl will be awarded with the scholarship.

Jocelynn Coleman, Maddie Fleshman, Abraham Gray, Abigail Roberts, and Jillian Ross, are the five LPHS student contenders for the potential scholarship. All the students are well within the qualifications and have worked hard in order to earn this honor.

“Finalist varied in their backgrounds, but I think [we] all share a passion for learning, celebrating and cultivating talent, and using talents to give back to the community. It’s truly an honor to be amongst the other finalists,” Ross said.

According to the Lilly Endowment website, the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship Program was first offered in 1998. Lilly Endowment has remained steadfast in its belief that education at all levels is vital to the personal, civic and economic well-being of Indiana’s residents and communities.

“I was inspired to apply for the Lilly Scholarship because of the values that the Unity Foundation has. Both myself and Unity love to give back to our community and be of service to others. This connection inspired me to apply because I knew that my dedication to serving our community could put me in the running to win,” Fleshman said.

All of the students who wanted to partake in this year’s Lilly Scholarship were required to fill out an application online with certain criteria. Once the top 10 were selected, they were asked to attend an interview held in Michigan City.

“Being a Lilly finalist has helped me to appreciate the hard work I’ve put into my academics and volunteer work over the years. I feel really proud for making it this far in this process, and even if I don’t get the scholarship, I can be proud of myself for receiving the honor of being one of the top ten finalists in the county,” Coleman said.

Applicants were judged on their academic achievements, service to others, extracurricular activities, and financial need. A committee of local volunteers reviewed and the applications will be submitted to the Independent Colleges of Indiana Inc. for the final selections.

The Lilly Endowment has provided more than 4,400 scholarships and $375 million in tuition and book stipends to Indiana communities through this program.

“To me, it’s a great opportunity to really find the education that will help me do what I know I can. Getting [the scholarship] would mean I can pursue my goals without worrying about finances which makes a world of difference,” Gray said.

Coleman plans to go to college to study English Education. Coleman has been involved in Student Council, Quiz Bowl, Yearbook, and NHS.

Fleshman plans to attend Purdue University to study Construction Management Technology and Spanish. Fleshman was on the Girls’ Golf and Tennis  and active in National Honor Society, Girls Reserve, Key Club, Yearbook, Spanish Club, Senior Class Representative, PSI, and Work Ethic.

Gray is undecided where he wants to attend but wants to major in History. Gray was on the boys’ tennis team and plays for the LPHS Orchestra.

Roberts would like to attend Butler University to study Health Science to later lead into their Physicians Assistant Program. Roberts has been active in Girl Reserves, Student Council, Leadership LaPorte County, Work Ethic, Spanish Club, Mayor’s Youth Council, Tri-M Music Honors Society, Student Advisory Council, swimming, and Symphonic Orchestra.  

Ross would like to study Biological Engineering at Purdue University. Ross was involved in dance at Eclipse Performing Arts, Academic Super Bowl, and the Equestrian team.

Be on the lookout for when the winners are announced sometime in December!