Sharing love through literature

Sharing love through literature

Up on the second floor of Riley Elementary tucked away in stacks of books is one of Riley’s most beloved staff members- Mrs. Povlock. Being a librarian isn’t always an easy job. It takes an immense amount of time, energy, and genuine love for books to do it. Povlock does just that, while having the one of the sweetest souls.

“Mrs. Povlock has an abundance of positive energy and always has a kind word to share for all who cross her path,” Mr. Alber, Riley Elementary School principal, said.

Povlock has always had a strong passion for not only reading but for teaching as well. She spent 10 years of her life being an instructional assistant. Povlock also taught kindergarten, first, and third grade.

She loved being an assistant teacher and an actual teacher, but as soon as the librarian position became available, she immediately applied for it.

This is Povlock’s 22nd year in the Riley library. Some of the best times of her life have been spent amongst the books with the kids. There are many things to love about Riley, but the thing that sticks out the most to Povlock is the students.

“The greatest joy is reading all of the different stories to the kids and making the book characters come alive for them,” Povlock said.

Povlock is not only an outstanding librarian, but she also is in charge of the Little House group. The idea of creating the Little House group originally came from a third grade teacher Povlock worked with in the past. They agreed strongly that they both loved reading the Little House on the Prairie books, and the students enjoyed it just as much. When Povlock’s opportunity to be the Riley Elementary School librarian came up, she decided to continue reading the books in an enrichment program.

“My favorite thing about the Little House Group is seeing modern day kids getting to know about the pioneer way of life, really understand how life was many years ago, and appreciate their own life with its modern conveniences,” Povlock said.

Povlock is creative and kind to everyone inside of Riley, and she carries that kind soul with her outside of school.

When she has free time, she enjoys baking and making candy. She exhibits many items at the La Porte County Fair, including floral arrangements, pies, and cakes. Povlock even spends time every once in a while birdwatching.

Although, she has two main parts to her incredibly humble life: being a librarian and sharing Jesus’ love with her husband.

“God has really blessed me to be able to work at Riley all of these years!” Povlock said.

It’s safe to say that the staff and students at Riley feel the same about her.