K-Kids, santa parade, and community

Christmas is approaching, which means so do the festivities. Over 400 people lined up along the sides of Lincolnway to watch the Christmas Santa Parade on November 24 with Santa Claus himself, perched atop the firetruck.

Hailmann and Crichfield K-Kids join and marched in the parade as well. Approximately 50 kids, 25 from Hailmann and 25 from Crichfield, were involved this year. Teaching the students the importance of being involved in the community is a big part of K-Kids.

“I enjoy having the K-Kids participate in the Santa Parade because I know that it makes them feel special, and it also lets them know that being involved in your community can be a lot of fun,” TJ Hague, Crichfield K-Kids co-sponsor, said.

K-Kids is a group of third through fifth grade students who actively get involved in the community. The students work hard to improve LaPorte by giving back.

Events the groups partake in include volunteering at events, collecting socks/clothing for local shelters, raising money through fundraisers for charities, making blankets for those in need, bell ringing for the Salvation Army,  caroling during the holidays, and being young leaders in the community.

There are different levels of this servant leadership group depending on age range. Elementary is K-Kids, middle school has Builder’s Club, Key Club is high school, and Kiwanis Club is for adults in the community.

No matter what level of the group, the idea is the same for everyone: doing good for the community.

Interested students should reach out to school sponsors if they are interested in making a difference.