Slicers stuff stockings for soldiers

Slicers stuff stockings for soldiers

LaPorte High School student athletes recently filled stockings to be sent to military personnel in Afghanistan.

After hearing about Cutler Funeral Home furnishing stockings to be sent to soldiers and veterans, Mr. Gilliland, athletic director, felt that the Slicers should play their part in helping.

The Student Athletic Council members began by receiving four stockings; one was for them to fill, and the other three were to be passed along to other athletes. When an athlete brought a full stocking to the office, they received an empty stocking to give to another athlete to fill and return.

“The idea was to reach as many LPHS athletes as possible by December 1st,” Steve Santana, assistant athletic director, said.

Overall, 81 full stockings were sent to Cutler Funeral Home. Looking towards the future, numbers are hoped to be higher next year.

“We got a very late start this year, so we do plan to continue this next year in hopes of getting even more stockings,” Santana said.

Filling stockings for soldiers and veterans was a great opportunity for all athletes involved.

“Filling the stockings for the veterans this year was very heartwarming for the athletic counsel. It gave us a chance to give back to the men and women who have served for us,” Nyla Asad, junior member of the Student Athletic Council, said.

With the help of Slicer athletes, Cutler Funeral Home will send over 325 stockings, breaking last year’s total, and spreading holiday cheer to all those receiving one.