LPCSC introduces Food Rescue program

LPCSC introduces Food Rescue program

The LaPorte Community School Corporation has started a food rescue program throughout various elementary schools this school year.

The food rescue program is a way for students to donate to unopened edibles to food pantries and other various locations around the area.

Students can donate food such as milk, juice, yogurt, cheese sticks, PB&J sandwiches, graham crackers, and whole fruit. All items are required to be unused and unopened.

Crichfield, Kingsbury, Lincoln and Hailmann Elementary Schools currently participate in the program.

“The food rescue program started at Hailmann and Kingsbury Elementary Schools this year. As soon as I heard it was offered [to Crichfield] this year, I asked to join,” Donna Biggs, Crichfield Elementary principal, said.

Food is donated to different venues, including the Center Township Food Pantry and the Center Township Resource Center (Crichfield). Lincoln, Hailmann, and Kingsbury donate their food to the PAX Center and the Salvation Army.

“Food Rescue means that each day a client can come into our pantry and receive milk. They do not have to wait for their pantry day,” Lisa Pierzakowski, Center Township Trustee, said.

Depending on the food gathered, collections are typically picked up once or twice each week.

“On average, we are collecting 50 to 300 donated food items in just four school buildings.” ”

— Britney McCray--Child Nutrition Director

Families have already shown great appreciation for the food they have received. According to one mother, the Food Rescue program provided her child with milk, a necessity which otherwise would not have been available.

As the new year approaches, collections will continue at elementary schools in hopes of providing more food throughout the school year.