Sharpe resigns as head football coach

Sharpe resigns as head football coach

On November 20, 2018, Slicer head football coach David Sharpe announced he would be resigning as head coach.

Sharpe will be resigning and moving to Indianapolis with his wife to work on the Jacob Sharpe Foundation, a foundation they created for families who went through experiences similar to their own. The foundation will be working alongside Riley Children’s Hospital to help raise money for families who had to stay at Riley for months to years on end. They will also raise money for funeral expenses of families whose children have passed away unexpectedly in Indiana.

“We will be living within minutes of Riley Hospital, so we will be able to invest a lot of time into this,” Sharpe said.

Despite moving on to new beginnings, Sharpe will not forget his experiences in LaPorte, especially regarding LaPorte High School’s students.

“We have great kids at LaPorte, I learned about just how you can take a big group of people and work toward one common goal,” Sharpe said.

In 2016, Sharpe led the Slicers to a 9-2 regular season record. That same season they would beat Chesterton in their first Regional game with a final score of 17-7. Unfortunately, they would go on to lose to Penn in their second Regional game with a final score of 42-21. Sharpe also led the Slicers to Regional wins in 2017, and 2018.

“We’ve had a lot of success with the football program and I look back on my past four years with nothing but pride and I feel really happy with what we accomplished,” Sharpe said.

If you’d like to donate to the Jacob Sharpe Foundation, visit jacobsharpefoundation.com and click on the “donate” tab. The Jacob Sharpe Foundation will also be holding fundraisers across the state of Indiana.