Slicers defend house at Conference Baker Tournament

The LaPorte High School boys’ bowling team finished the 2018-2019 regular season with a strong win at the Lakeshore Conference Baker Tournament, the Bill Morton Memorial tournament, on Wednesday, January 9th.

After finishing the regular season with an 8-3 record, the boys went into the tournament at Casey’s Lanes ready to defend their home.

After eight regular baker games, the boys were seeded against Hobart for a two-game-total-pin match. Covering their spares and beating the Brickies, the boys moved along to face Michigan City in the finals.

Between two high games, beating Michigan City in both, the Slicer boys were declared this year’s Bill Morton Memorial tournament champions.

“Winning the Conference Baker Tournament was a great way to end our season,” junior Ben Wakeman said.

The Slicer girls also had an impressive run at this year’s tournament, seeding 3rd after the beginning eight baker games. Also competing against Hobart in the first round, the girls were down by 20 after the first game but bounced back the second to join Portage in the finals.

The girls’ team fell short to the Indians, but they put up an impressive fight.

In addition to the outstanding finishes from both teams, senior Alyssa Foster was also announced to be on the Lakeshore Conference All-Conference Team for the second consecutive year. All-Conference is determined by standings and statistics from the entire season, and the top seven bowlers are selected.  

Both teams plan to bring high scores and plenty of teamwork to Sectionals on Saturday, January 12th.