Compassion meets empowerment

Welsh and her Builder's Club take giving back to a new level.

BMS

BMS

BMS

Compassion meets empowerment

Every teacher has a story. For Boston Middle School social studies teacher Holly Welsh, her pages are filled with care, leadership, and kindness. It is clear her story’s setting was always meant to be in a classroom, even though it wasn’t where she thought she would end up.

Welsh’s original plan was not to pursue a teaching career. Mrs. Welsh was seeking to become a news anchor. She had a shift of interest and realized she would rather make a difference through teaching.

“I needed to make a difference for kids the way my speech teacher Mrs. Stacy made a difference for me,” Welsh said.

Welsh changed her major and set her focus solely on becoming a teacher. She went to Valparaiso University where she studied middle level education.

BMS
Welsh co-sponsors the BMS Builder’s Club, which volunteers at community events.

Welsh is going on her fifth year teaching at Boston and her seventh year of teaching overall. Before landing her position as a seventh grade social studies teacher, she taught at Discovery Charter School in Chesterton.

Welsh enjoys teaching social studies due to its room for creativity and endless discussion. Welsh loves to give her students a chance to lead and think for themselves.

“It gives me the ability to question kids and to encourage them to question things as well,” Welsh said.

Welsh encourages creativity and for her students to be self-driven. She is constantly aiming to make a difference for students and the community, which can be seen in the “extras” she does. Welsh takes time out of her own busy life to help operate the Boston Builder’s Club and the Philanthropy mini course.

Builder’s Club is a student led group that does volunteer work and so much more throughout the community. The club teaches students to think for themselves and empowers the next generation of leaders. Her mini course offers Boston offers students the chance to plan and execute events to help fellow student or local organizations.

Welsh’s story is one that not only has impacted her but many others. With each turn of the page, her impact grows and grows. She is a gift to the students and staff at Boston and beyond.