Ivy Tech offers free class for seniors

Ivy Tech offers free class for seniors

La Porte High School is now offering a free online dual credit class through Ivy Tech to prepare for students for their future and career paths.

Seniors will be completing the course during SRT as a part of their Senior Capstone, which grants them two days out of school including the last day.

IVYT111 is a course focused on looking at aspects of life after high school, including resume building, leadership, and various other important skills. When seniors complete this course, they will have a free college credit that is transferable to over 90 percent of Indiana colleges. Even students who will not be heading off to college will have a leg up on their resumes because they will be able to tell future employers they have completed a college level class in high school.

Mr. Presley, College and Career readiness coordinator, is helping oversee this new course, working closely with IVY Tech and the senior teachers helping run the class.

“I oversee the content for the course, I am also working with 18 senior SRT teachers,” Presley said.

The school is providing this program as a resource for any senior to prepare for what is to come. A major focus at LPHS is helping Slicers become college and career ready, and this fits that mission.

“The activities are all going to help if they’re planning to go to college or start work first,” Mrs. Fegaras, business teacher, said.

New online assignments will be posted weekly, and seniors will have time during SRT to complete the activities. All work should be able to be finished during school time. With the astronomical price of college, a free credit is an exciting thing to offer to Slicers. 

“I think this is a great opportunity for out students, to earn college credit at no cost,” Fegaras said.