Track starting off on the right foot

Track starting off on the right foot

The LPHS boys and girls track teams are preparing for great indoor and outdoor seasons with pre-season training and the recent start of the new season.

After schools on Mondays and Wednesday, the track teams met for winter conditioning and Tuesday and Thursday for weight lifting, so the team is hoping the hard work pays off.

The girls’ track team has had a great deal of success in the last few years with back-to-back sectional titles in 2016 and 2017.

This season has a whole new look, with the team losing a great deal to graduation. The coaches are looking forward to a new crop of athletes rising to the occasion and filling the voids.

This season is a new season with completely different teams from last year. We graduated A LOT of seniors. It’s always fun to watch certain athletes grow into new people as their roles change from a participant to a team leader,” Slater said.

This year’s track season will unfortunately take place without James and Beres. James and Beres coached track for 12 years. The two worked hard to build a successful program.

“Coach Beres and I felt if we could combine the cross country athletes with the football athletes, we might be able to have some success.  And we did!”, said James.

Come see coach slater in F.12 or Coach Tuholski in Food Lab for more information on how to get involved.

The first indoor boy and girl meet is on Saturday March 2 in Angola, Indiana. The first outdoor boys and girls meet is against Michigan City and Merriville at Michigan City on Tuesday April 9, 2019.