Full STEAM ahead at Crichfield

Crichfield hosted its first family STEAM Night on February 7th.

The night consisted of interactive STEAM based activities for students and their families. Crichfield also welcomed community members to help lead the various activities as well as to build connections between La Porte citizens and the schools.

Community members volunteered to help run stations.

“We would like to have businesses, families, and community members involved in our school activities. This would also allow us to learn about careers and businesses right here in our community,” Mrs. Talbert, member of the STEAM Team, said.

This program was made possible by the staff who are a part of the STEAM Team at Crichfield.

“The STEAM Committee were the leaders/organizers of the night; however all staff members were welcome to help,” Mrs. Younggreen, STEAM Team member, said.

Many Cougar staff members did show up to help ensure the four stations ran efficiently. The stops included a paper airplane station, parachute drop, penny boat float station, and a dance code activity! Families would rotate through, trying to complete the task in the allotted amount of time.

“A totally awesome experience was held at Crichfield. It was an opportunity to learn some really cool stuff. Definitely a great time had by the children, staff, and families attending. What a great opportunity for these young ones to learn about science, technology, engineering, arts and math. I especially love how they had a professional in each area assisting the presenters,” Denise Cook, grandmother of a Crichfield student, said.

The families who participated gained experience in the realm of STEAM, which is an interdisciplinary approach that gives students real-world lessons in science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics. The STEAM Team worked hard to plan a night that gave Cougar families a mixture of fun and learning.

“They worked through the Engineering Design Process and were able to use problem solving techniques and well as critical thinking skills. In many cases, they worked together to solve a task,” Talbert said.  

Crichfield is working towards becoming a STEM Certified School. According to the Indiana Department of Education, STEM Certified Schools exemplify a highly non-traditional approach to education, employing a great deal of inquiry, project based learning, community engagement, entrepreneurship, student centered classrooms, integration into humanities and related arts, and out of school STEM activities. STEM Certified Schools accomplish this while following educational policies set by the state and excelling under the system of accountability.

Crichfield administration and staff see the importance to have a STEAM focused education.

“Our kindergartens are going to experience STEAM, and this will hopefully prepare them for their future where 85% of the careers that will be available to them are not even created. Our world is constantly changing, and our goal at Crichfield is to be a front runner in preparing our students for the future that will be presented to them,” Talbert said.

It looks like it’s full STEAM ahead for Crichfield.