LPHS 20 Time Project

LPHS 20 Time Project

Some might say once you enter high school, you lose all privileges when it comes to what you learn. However, there is a hope for students wanting the opportunity to learning about something they are passionate about.

A 20 Time project, also known as “The Genius Hour,” means devoting 20 percent of your time (in terms of a school schedule that would mean one out of the five days) to something students are passionate about.  The project should have “the potential to be useful in other endeavors and/or benefit others.”

Jennifer Scanlin, an English teacher at LPHS, was inspired to implement 20 Time Tuesday after attending an AP summer workshop institute.

20 Time Tuesday is when students will work on their passion projects. At the beginning of the semester, students were required to give a 60 second pitch to classmates explaining their project idea. Following the pitch, they reviewed peer feedback, made adjustments if necessary, and began work on the project.  At the end of the semester, each student will be required to give a short presentation to an audience detailing the experience.

The goal behind this is to getting students excited about learning, which should come with ease because of the freedom the students were allowed to chose something that genuinely sparks an interest. Although some processes may present challenges, Scanlin hopes students will take away problem-solving, critical thinking, learning to accept that sometimes things do not turn out the way anticipated are just a few of the lessons the project offers.

“For my 20 time, I am studying health while also weightlifting and tracking my experience. I’m excited for this project because it gives me time to do things I have always wanted to do but never had time,” Katie Tripp, junior, said

Some of the highlights from students getting to choose their own project include a documentary detailing the importance of keeping the arts in schools, stand up comedy routine, learning another language, raising awareness for no kill animal shelters, photography projects – one of which focuses on LaPorte, fitness and healthy living lifestyle projects, writing a children’s book, writing a script and making a short film, mural painting, and the list goes on and on.

“We (as adults, teachers, administrators) continue to impress upon students the importance of being college and career ready. I think this type of project promotes the type of skills employers and colleges look for in individuals. Students will need to be self-motivated, responsible, and willing to adapt. For many of the projects, the student will also need to learn to work with others to accomplish a common goal,” Scanlin said.

Needless to say, Tuesdays in J.20 are filled with a full spectrum of different approaches and spins on this project. Scanlin is looking forward for the final products at the end of the semester.