Quiz Bowl team continues impressive season

The LaPorte High School Quiz Bowl team has defended an impressive competition so far this year.

Throughout the past few months, the LPHS Quiz Bowl team has competed against numerous schools from Northwest Indiana, defending their academic skills and having fun as a team.

Students participating at Quiz Bowl meets compete to showcase their skills on questions from a variety of categories including science, math, art, and history. Individuals aim to answer questions correctly as quickly as possible. Questions are worth two points each, though bonus questions can be worth up to four.

Students in all grades build the LPHS Quiz Bowl team, and each are able to contribute different points of knowledge. Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each, teammates rely heavily on each other to earn points and build up their scores.

LPHS has competed against schools including Andrean, Marquette, Michigan City, and Chesterton so far, though their stand-out competition was against Merrillville where the LPHS Varsity Quiz Bowl team hovered high above with a victory over the Pirates.

While joining the LPHS Quiz Bowl team is an excellent way to expand knowledge and experience something new, the benefit of creating new friendships stands far above any other.

“Quiz Bowl helps you build knowledge, but it also helps you make friends even more,” Jocelynn Coleman, senior, said.

Any student looking to join a team full of fun and friendships is encouraged to join next school year. Students are asked to listen to announcements for information on call-out meetings and practices.