Senior athletes commit to colleges

Senior athletes commit to colleges

A few talented Slicer seniors will be continuing their athletic careers next year.

Many LPHS students have committed to their respective colleges for many sports including volleyball, wrestling, and basketball. These students exemplify not only what it means to be an excellent athlete, but also an excellent Slicer.

Basketball:

Riley Ott will attend Purdue University Fort Wayne to continue her basketball career. Ott will be attending PFW because she enjoyed the atmosphere, coaches, and it was close to home. PFW also had the major that Ott was looking for. Other than PFW, Ott was considering the University of St. Francis and Yale, which is an Ivy-League school.

Katilyn Kazmierzak will be attending Trine University to pursue her career in basketball. Kazmierzak enjoyed that Trine is smaller than most colleges and that it was in a nice area. Trine also has great academics and the degree she wants. Kazmierzak also considered the University of Indianapolis and Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

Senior basketball star Drake Gunn will be attending Eastern Arizona University to continue his career. Gunn thought the college was a good fit for his education and it was a big campus, which were a few factors that led him to choose the college. EAU is also far from home, which is something Gunn was looking for. Gunn also considered Huntington University, Indiana Wesleyan University, Trinity Christian College, and Bethel College.

Bowling:

Alyssa Foster will be playing out her bowling career at Lindenwood University. Foster enjoyed looking into the universities bowling program. She will also be studying journalism at Lindenwood, something that has appealed to her for several years. Foster also considered attending Bethel College and Valparaiso University.

Track:

Riley Tuerff will be running on Indiana State’s track team for her college sporting career. Tuerff liked that Indiana State was very friendly, it wasn’t too big or too small, and the school had great coaches and players. Indiana State also offered her money to run track there, making her decision a little easier. Other universities Tuerff was considering were Indiana University, Ball State, and Grand Valley State.

Volleyball:

For her four-year college experience, Reilly Briggs chose to attend Northern Kentucky University where she will play volleyball. Other colleges she was considering were Valparaiso, Kent State, and Coastal Carolina. She will be attending NKU because of the conference the school is in, her coaches, and teammates. Unlike some, Briggs did not want to be too close to home.

Kara Cooper will be attending Valparaiso University to play volleyball. Cooper liked her teammates and coaches, and it is close to home. A few colleges she considered were Northern Illinois and the University of Illinois at Chicago. Cooper also really enjoys the school’s different academic programs.

Gillian Santana is going to attend the University of Indianapolis to play volleyball. She did not consider any other colleges, so this was the spot for her. Santana chose the college because of their nice coaches and players, and she loved the campus. She also enjoyed that the school is smaller.

Wrestling:

Nico Torres will be continuing his wrestling career at Manchester University in North Manchester, Indiana. Torres liked the small campus and it seemed like a good fit for him. Other colleges Torres considered were Wabash and North Central College.

LaPorte High School students and staff are excited to see these athletes play at their respective colleges and will be keeping an eye on their athletic careers. Once a Slicer, always a Slicer!