Rotary Club invites Slicers to attend meetings

Students at LaPorte High School have been given the opportunity to attend weekly meetings of the Rotary Club of LaPorte.

Rotary consists of members from different countries, continents, and cultures. They are able to come together and build friendships and connections while creating ways to make a difference in the world.

Located in LaPorte, the Rotary Club holds Monday meetings at 11:45 a.m in the Conference Center of Best Western. Selected students of LPHS are able to attend meetings in which they listen to a speaker and enjoy a lunch provided for them. Students also have the opportunity to introduce themselves and share information about their role as a club member at LPHS, bridging the school-community gap.

“The Rotary Club allows community members to see what is happening in classes at the high school. The meetings are a great opportunity for students,” Maddie Bildhauser, senior, said.

One recent meeting, which took place on Monday, February 18th, focused on a trip that Rotary members took to Turkey. It was brought to mention that the program is considered to have changed the disabled culture of Turkey.

The purpose of the Turkey project was to get disabled students into jobs. While attending the trip to Turkey, Rotary members were able to not only visit with families, but they were given the opportunity to observe disabled students in workplaces.

Rotary meetings are not only great opportunities for members to hear about what is going on at the high school, but they are also excellent chances for students to hear about experiences of those in the community who have made life-changing differences.

“I learned a lot at the meeting I attended, and I am so grateful for the opportunity I had,” Bildhauser said.

Students will continue attending Rotary Club meetings as the year continues.