Moss and Novak proceed to State

Moss and Novak proceed to State

Yet another LPHS student team will attend a competition at the state level; this time, however, in a unique and new event.

Seniors Mitchell Moss and Zachary Novak recently participated in the SkillsUSA Television Production Contest at the Elkhart Career Center. SkillsUSA is a national organization that aims to prepare middle school, high school, and college students for careers in trade and technical occupations.

We created a promotional video for the National New York Central Railroad Museum in Elkhart, IN,” Mitchell Moss said.

While SkillsUSA has existed for over 60 years, this will be the first time that an LPHS team has made it to the state level, let alone compete at Semi-State. The LPHS team was selected as one of only a few teams.

“It is a true honor for Mitchell and I both. For years we’ve been making videos from idiotic skits to serious commercials, and we’ve tried putting some of our work up for a competition, and to actually see what we’ve done go on to State, it has a true feeling of, ‘we’ve made it this far; let’s keep going!’” Zachary Novak said.

The LPHS team was fairly successful at Semi-State, and they’re both convinced that they will perform at the same level at State.

“I feel really confident. I feel reinvigorated. I feel explosive. I feel ready. I feel like we are gonna make it and we are gonna top the charts there. I feel like we have a shot at going big and it’s gonna be a ton of fun. I can’t wait,” Moss said.

Moss and Novak are students of LPHS’s Radio and Television program. Other classes in the Radio and Television department include Intro to Communications – Communicating effectively; Design Fundamentals – learning design and photoshop; Radio / TV 1 – The fundamentals of video production and radio; and Radio / TV II – Mastering video and audio production.

“It gives me a sense of pride that a video I made is able to make such an impact in a way that we are able to impact judges enough to win and proceed to the next phase. It’s the pride in mine and Zack’s partnership, both harnessing our own skills in a way to cooperatively make a fantastic product at the end of it, it’s just a crazy feeling and one that I will never forget,” Moss said.