Shuble eyes Art Institute

Shuble eyes Art Institute

Senior Alaura Shuble is about to take her talents to the Windy City. Shuble recently found out that she was accepted into her dream school, School of the Art Institute of Chicago.

Ever since Shuble was a little girl, art has always been her passion. She was raised without the typical access to television. Instead, she watched old Disney animated films on VCR, and she loved being able to watch all of the beaming creativity and art skills that those films showed. After growing up watching the movies, Shuble’s motivation to want to make art started.

She has dreamt about and envisioned attending an art school, but she has always been unsure if being an artist was the most realistic career path.

She planned on applying to other schools to get a standard education, and it wasn’t until people started encouraging Shuble to be bold and apply for an art institute that she decided to go for it.

“I figured it was worth a shot,” Shuble said, knowing that the worst possibility would be her not being accepted.

Applying to an art school is not the easiest job in the world. Shuble had to share two pieces of information with the school. The first piece of information was her artist statement, which is the applicant explaining who she is as a student, her goals, and her interest in the field. The second step to applying is sending in a portfolio of the candidate. The portfolio contains 10-15 of the student’s best work. Mrs. Lebo, LPHS art teacher, has watched Shuble work her way through this process and grow as an artist.

“Alaura is a phenomenal artist. She has such a natural talent for the arts. I look forward to following her success as she starts her new journey at the Art Institute of Chicago,” Lebo said.

Shuble has always had an end goal in mind: to get a job after college. She knew applying and getting accepted to the one of the most influential art and design school of the country would help her achieve her goal.

Shuble received her acceptance letter to School of the Art Institute of Chicago on February 12th, but she didn’t actually grasp the letter until the Friday of that week.

“A family member had checked the mail that day, and there the letter was, buried in the mail, and no one even knew about it until three days later,” Shuble said.

Shuble was overjoyed with the news, and she knew it wouldn’t have happened without the supporting people in her life who encouraged her to apply.

There are various paths that an artist might take, but Shuble is passionate with the thought of potentially making storyboards for movies.

The way a storyboard works is, someone comes up with a story, and then a few days later she asks artists to come in and draw what the movie will look like scene by scene. The entire team of directors and artists come together and decide what they like and don’t like, and Shuble likes the idea of being able to not only designing a movie but getting to put her personal input into the decisions that are made in the film.

As Shuble moves on to bigger opportunities, she is starting to realize how much the LPHS art program has shaped her into the artist she is becoming today.

The high school has been able to give me opportunities that I don’t think I would have been able to get at another school nearby. It has let me explore different options in art,” Shuble said.