Crichfield earns Four Star School honor again

Crichfield Elementary School was named an Indiana Four Star School for the 2017-2018 school year, making it the only La Porte County school to earn the honor.

This is the sixth time Crichfield has been named a Four Star School in the last seven years, including the last five consecutive years.

“We are very excited to make the list once again. It is always an honor,” Donna Biggs, Crichfield principal, said.

A total of 234 schools received the award throughout the state, with nearly 30 in the region.

According the the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE), the Four Star School Award, created in 1988 by the Department of Education, has been in existence for nearly 30 years and signifies a pursuit of academic excellence among both the students and the administration of a school. To receive a Four Star designation, a school must receive an “A” on the state’s A-F accountability system, have excellent ISTEP+ pass rates.

“It is very difficult to achieve Four Star School status. This honor for Crichfield brings positive publicity to the entire LaPorte Community School Corporation. Four Star School status is an honor schools work hard to attain,” Steve Manering, assistant superintendent for elementary education, said.

Biggs sees Crichfield’s constant effort to grow the whole child as a major factor of success.

“We keep student growth at the forefront of our focus and decision making. It is important to meet students where they are at and help them grow from there,” Biggs said. “This is important socially, emotionally and academically. Our teachers are constantly planning and organizing on a daily basis to meet the needs of our students. We work collaboratively and collectively.”

For the Crichfield teachers, the focus remains steady on students and what’s best for them, constantly searching for new ways to reach all students.

“Our staff works together to help each student reach their full potential. Teachers put in extra time outside the regular school day to plan lessons so we can differentiate our instruction so all students are successful. Our staff provides small group instruction to those students that may need extra help and provide enrichment for those students who need a challenge. It is a great place to work because everyone in the building is looking out for the best interests of all our students,” Connie Kaminski, Crichfield 2nd grade teacher, said.

The Crichfield staff knows that knows it takes a village to make a school successful, and none of it would be possible without the Cougar families who show up each and every day to support the Crichfield staff, misson, initiatives, and events.

“The bridge between home and school is very important. We are fortunate to have a supportive and involved parent community,” Biggs said.

It’s not just the Cougar faculty that is grateful. Cougar families feel incredibly lucky to send their children to Crichfield each day. Pam Stanfield, Crichfield parent, even moved to La Porte five years ago purely for the education her children would receive.

“Crichfield has become one of the center building blocks in the lives of my children. I know that they are interacting with educators who care about shaping their minds and giving them the tools to succeed, not just in their elementary school years but throughout life. I am proud that my children are a part of a school that creates such a sense of community,” Standfield said.

Congratulations, Crichfield.