Local teacher has children’s books published

Alyssa Foster, Editor

Katie Mitschelen, Kingsbury 1st grade teacher, has taken her creativity outside of her classroom and into her writing. Writing for both children and adults, Mitschelen has been putting work together for publication since 2005, and she has released many pieces through the years since.

“I have published articles in various children and grown-up magazines, such as BackYard magazine, Scholastic Instructor, and Humpty Dumpty,” Mitschelen said.

Mitschelen has also written a picture book titled Mouse’s Best Gift, and she has published a four-book nonfiction series titled Indiana, My State.

“I was contacted by the city of Columbus and hired to write that picture book, and I met the publisher of the Indiana books while I was volunteering as the Assistant Regional Advisor for the Indiana Chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators,” Mitschelen said.

Mitschelen is currently represented by an agent who takes care of the publishing aspect of her new manuscripts.

“I write the story, and when we feel that the book is ready to go on submission, she creates a list of publishers that she feels would best suit my work and takes care of the submission process for me,” Mitschelen said.

In addition to her writing for children, she tends to write about gardening, teaching, and cooking and has had this work also distributed throughout various magazines.

The inspiration behind her work comes from all around her, but her students play a great role in giving her ideas for books.