LPHS hosts Local Scholarship Award night

The La Porte High School Local Scholarship Awards Ceremony took place on Thursday, May 2nd.

63 seniors were awarded scholarships from many organizations and donors in the Performing Arts Center at LPHS. Approximately 40 scholarships and over $49,000 was given to Slicers moving on to post-secondary options.

Local scholarship packets were available for pickup at the beginning of the month of February, and students were able to apply for any scholarship they were eligible for, though scholarship requirements and amounts varied.

Students receiving awards were seated on stage, unaware of which scholarship they were receiving until presenters announced their names. Students were grateful for the generosity of the organizations.

“The 3 scholarships I was awarded last night meant a lot to me. It made me realize hard work pays off, and it’s amazing to see how generous our community is to give away such a large amount of money,” Alyvia Messer, senior, said.

After awards were handed out and students received their certificates, the evening was concluded with the presentation of framed certificates for the Lilly Endowment Scholarship finalists, as well as for Abigail Roberts–winner of the Lilly Scholarship.

“We are fortunate to have so many generous donors in our community that recognize these young men and ladies for their accomplishments and, as an educator, I admire what these young people are capable of,” Sheryl Suppinger, LPHS Counselor, said.

As the Class of 2019 moves closer to the end of the year, the Senior Scholarship Night is a wonderful chance to honor the hard work of many Slicers for the past 13 years.