Saying goodbye to an adventurous soul

Saying goodbye to an adventurous soul

After four years of teaching at the ACCESS program held at the Unity Site, and 21 years of teaching special education at LPHS, Lynn Davis is saying farewell to her staff title.

Davis knew teaching was the path for her after having children of her own and recognizing every moment was a “teachable moment.”

Elementary education was only the start for Davis until she moved to special education where she knew her heart truly belonged. Helping those who needed a small boost in becoming successful adults is how she enjoyed spending her time. At the high school, Davis taught life skills classes for English, math, interpersonal relations, reading, adult roles and responsibilities, speech.

“Every year we have an end of the year celebration. We still listen to music, dance, and play sports games. It’s fun for everyone! A way to celebrate a great year and the friendships we’ve made,” Davis said.

Not only had Davis developed long-lasting relationships with students, but the supportive families have turned into friends.

“I met Mrs. Davis the day before I started working at LPHS.  She is so friendly and helpful and we became friends immediately,” Ellen Bos, special education teacher, said.

She has even learned valuable lessons from her students in the highlight of her years being a teacher.

“Being a teacher has taught me that I have a lot to learn from my students. They have helped me to learn patience, perseverance, and kindness through many types of adversity,” Davis said.

Davis doesn’t just use her voice to teach lessons and give instructions. On her off-time, Davis enjoys singing. Davis her husband, who plays the guitar, perform at open-mic nights at church whenever they have the chance.

When Davis has free time, she enjoys relaxing herself with some yoga and other outdoor activities such as kayaking, hiking, and biking.

“Being a Slicer is like being a member of a family. We are here for each other and support each other through the good and the difficult times.We cheer each other on and understand when someone struggles. I would like to thank my Slicer family for all the love and support they have given to me,” Davis said.

Saying goodbye to such and adventurous, kind-hearted soul will weigh heavily in the hearts of those who surrounded her. The way she goes out of her way to help others is a void no one can fill. Slicers wish Davis the best of times on her future adventures.