Tuerff dominates in high school track career

In her four year track career at LaPorte High School, Riley Tuerff has blown by the competition with her phenomenal speed and athleticism.

Tuerff’s wins in the 100 meter hurdle and the 300 meter hurdle on May 15th, brought her career total to nine Sectional championships. Tuerff also ran her best time this season for the 100 meter hurdle at Sectionals, clocking in with a time of 15.51 seconds. She also won the DAC Championship in the 100 meter hurdle and 300 meter hurdle.

These record times and championships led to Tuerff being named DAC Most Valuable Player at the DAC meet on May 7th. Despite being given such a great honor, she’s taking it in stride.

“I don’t look at being named DAC MVP as a way to show off or anything like that, although I am very grateful for it. I feel like it just helps show how much hard work I put into the sport every single day and that hard work does pay off,” Tuerff said.

The multitude of titles and awards she has won as well as her work ethic and determination has led her to receive a scholarship to Indiana State University to run for their track team.

“My all time goal was to get the chance to run Division I track and field, and I could not be more excited to have this opportunity,” Tuerff said.

Going into Regionals, Tuerff is simply trying to keep an open mind and a positive mindset. She’s also trying to not let the pressure get to her head and recalls a time when she struggled to reach the top for inspiration.

“I also came up second to Destiny Washington last year. Destiny was from Lake Central and won the State Championships with a new meet record in the 100 hurdles. She would beat me every race, but I always ran my best times against her because she pushed me,” Tuerff said.

With the season and her tenure at LPHS coming to a close, Tuerff will look to fight her way to a State Championship. The Regional track and field competition will be held on Tuesday, May 21, in Portage at 6 PM. Come out to support her and the rest of our talented track team.