LPHS students receive Work Ethic Certificate

About 44 La Porte High School students received the Work Ethic Certificate on Tuesday, May 21st.

Slicers who had completed the Work Ethic requirements gathered in the LPHS cafeteria for donuts and juice as they were presented with their certificates for their hard work. Students receiving the school’s business certificate, awarded to those who have taken at least nine business courses at LPHS, were also given their awards at the breakfast.

The Work Ethic Certificate is a credential that validates a student has knowledge of skills, abilities, and commitment to work, while they develop needed behavioral characteristics that are expected by employers in our emerging workforce,” Mr. Presley, College and Career Coordinator, said.

In order to obtain the certificate, students must show a positive attitude, work well with others, have good attendance, be honest and dependable, and meet other various criteria. Students must also complete community service hours to qualify for the certificate.

Work Ethic is available for all students at LPHS. Seniors are also able to receive the Governor’s Work Ethic Certificate if they meet the necessary regional certificate requirements and have at least a 98% attendance rate.

According to Presley, receiving the Work Ethic Certificate is a great way for students to learn important skills for the future.

A person’s work ethic is essentially a set of skills that make them highly employable in any field. They are skills, so they can be learned and sharpened over time. Participating in work ethic is an opportunity to demonstrate and develop these important skills,” Presley said.

LPHS will be partnering with local businesses that support the program for the Work Ethic program in the Fall of the 2019-2020 school year.

Congratulations to these students.