Siefker named to IHSAA Student Advisory Committee

LPHS sophomore Graham Siefker has been named to the IHSAA Student Advisory Committee and will begin on the committee during his junior year.

100 student athletes applied to be on the committee; however, only 20 were chosen to be interviewed. Of those 20, only nine junior athletes were selected to the committee, and Siefker was one of them.

“It was a really cool experience to be one of the small percent of people selected to the committee,” Siefker said.

On the IHSAA Student Advisory Committee Siefker and the other members will be bringing to light new ideas to help make high school sports across the state a more enjoyable experience for the athletes and the fans. The committee is also in charge of putting on the summer conference, where schools are brought together from across the state to hold sessions regarding leadership, and they help out at various state finals. Siefker will also attempt to create change, specifically in rules, across high school sports in Indiana.

“I think it’s very interesting to be able to understand how those rules are formed and what I can do for the athletes, coaches, and officials,” Siefker said.

Being named to this committee is a great platform to represent LPHS and LaPorte, and Director of Athletics Ed Gilliland is confident in Siefker’s ability to do so.

“It is great not only for Graham but his family and the entire Slicer family. I am confident that Graham will represent himself very well and have a positive impact on the advisory committee,” Gilliland said.

The only athlete to be named to this committee from LaPorte High School before Siefker was linebacker Matt Otwinowski. Siefker is hopeful that he can represent the school as well as Otwinowski did when he was on the committee.

“I think everyone who’s been to LaPorte knows who Matt Otwinowski is and for me to be on the same committee that he was chosen to be on is really important to me and it makes me feel really good,” Siefker said.

Siefker will begin his tenure on the committee this summer. So whether you see him on the golf course, a tennis court, or in the pool, make sure you wish him luck in representing the Slicers.