Future Slicer Musicians

Future Slicer Musicians

One result of having a successful and widely recognized music program are the handful of students each year who decide to pursue music at the collegiate level. LPHS regularly graduates one or two prospective music majors each year who go on to study music education or performance, most commonly; however, the Class of 2019 is unique to this trend: It will graduate six students planning on majoring in music and one who plans to minor.

The students are Zeke Chairez, Jazz Performance; Patrick Lipscomb, Music Education; Cedric McCoy, Music Education; Alec Miller, Jazz Performance; Richard Minor, Trumpet Performance (minor); Andrew Walma, Composition; Kathryn Yeaney, Music Education.

Despite the range of majors, all of the students agrees on the impact music can have on others.

“I feel that music is what helps make the world much more colorful and enjoyable. The camaraderie of band members, the performances, and the good times shared because of music is what I enjoy the most [about music],” Minor said.
    Music at the collegiate level is different to that at the high school level: There are many more performance opportunities, and the overall atmosphere is more intense. As a result, the difficulty level of literature, performance, and musicality in general is increased. Even so, all of LPHS’s music majors are looking forward to college.

“I’m most looking forward to new opportunities for playing music, and the new people I will meet in the music program [in college]. I aspire to grow as a musician and a person in college, and I’m excited to begin,” Yeaney said.

Most importantly, the music majors are eagerly awaiting what will come even after college.

“I hope to one day play gigs in new places. I want to major in music performance with a jazz concentration and hopefully the school I attend can help me reach my goal. I would love to be able to form my own group and go play in big venues like Blue Whale or Birdland or the Village Vanguard. I hope to one day really make a name for myself in a career that I have a passion for,” Chairez said.

For many of the majors, music is the only profession that they could ever see themselves in because of the tremendous effect it had had on them.

“Music is like therapy for me, no matter how low I get I always feel music gets me back to my roots; [it] reminds me of who I am. Recently, I lost someone close to the family. It messed with me for a bit, but once I [was able to play] music, I was able to be myself again,” Miller said.

LPHS is excited to see what these young leaders and musicians will do in the future.