Senior Goodbye: Cedric McCoy

Senior Goodbye: Cedric McCoy

I never believed them when they told me high school would fly by.
I humbly started my high school career as much less of the extrovert that I am now. I had played a few sports the years leading up to and through middle school, but I spent more time on the bench than on the court or field. I had made a few friends but really didn’t have a strong support group. I didn’t have any passions or any real plans for my life.
High school changed all of that for me. My father convinced me to do one more year of band after middle school, if nothing else to receive my fine arts credits. I obliged and had my entire world changed. Band, and later the performing arts in general, gave me reasons to come to school early and stay late. I built up a solid group of friends that I have tracked with for all four years.
My high school experience and everyone involved in it, from my first band camp as a freshman to the conclusion of this senior goodbye, has shaped the person that I am today. I have become much more comfortable with myself, and performing in front of others. I have enjoyed every day of high school because of the teachers, directors, mentors, and friends that I have interacted with and made memories with throughout the years.
As I end my high school experience and begin my collegiate career as a Music Education major and honors student at IUSB, I wish to bestow some short, but important advice I was given when I first started high school that still rings true today: Take advantage of any and every opportunity you are given, and make the most of what time you do have. You won’t regret it.