U.S. presidential race heats up

With the race for president heating up, here is a look at each of the highest polling candidates currently running to help inform young voters of each candidate’s stances on the nation’s hot button issues.

The majority of the candidates still running are democrats; however, there are a few republicans still running for president. One of which is our current president, Donald Trump. Trump has strong views on many topics such as immigration and climate change. Trump wants to build a wall at the US-Mexico border to help prevent illegal immigration. Trump also withdrew from the Paris Climate Agreement, a deal completed under the Obama administration that’s goal was to strengthen the global response to the threat of climate change.

One Republican candidate now running against Trump is former Illinois Representative and conservative talk show host Joe Walsh. Walsh was previously a strong advocate for President Trump’s campaign; however, Walsh has seemed to have changed his view on the controversial president. He is now running in an attempt to stop Trump and his campaign.

74-year-old former governor of Massachusetts Bill Weld is also running against President Trump. Weld’s main campaign focus is criticizing President Trump’s economic policies and his personality.

In contrast to the minute number of Republicans running for president, there are a total of 21 Democrats running for our nation’s highest office. Here are a few of the top candidates on the democratic side, according to polling numbers.

First up is 76-year-old former vice president Joe Biden. Biden was the vice president under the Obama administration and if elected he would become the oldest elected president in U.S. history. His campaign is focused on rebuilding the middle class, demonstrating respective leadership, and ensuring democracy includes everyone. Biden is currently polling at 28 percent.

Next is 50-year-old senator from New Jersey and former Mayor of Newark Cory Booker. Booker’s campaign is centered on the ideas of bringing people together and making lasting change on our country. Booker also wants to focus on LGBTQ rights, gun violence, and reproductive rights. Booker is currently polling at 2.6 percent.

Pete Buttigieg is the mayor of South Bend, Ind. At the age of 37, if elected he would become the youngest president in the history of the U.S. Buttigieg is openly gay and served in the Navy in Afghanistan. Buttigieg’s main principles include commitment to America’s heartland and rural America, combating hate and gun issues, and raising the minimum wage. Buttigieg is currently polling at 4.6 percent.

44-year-old former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julián Castro is also running for president. If elected, he would work to lessen homelessness among veterans, tackle the problem of immigration at the US-Mexico border, and make college more affordable. Castro is currently polling at 1.4 percent.

Tulsi Gabbard is a 38-year-old U.S. Representative from Hawaii. She is also a veteran who served in the Iraq War. Gabbard plans to invest in quality healthcare, a green economy, and education. She also believes that the White House should be a beacon of light, showing respect, love, and compassion. Gabbard is currently polling at 1.6 percent.

Kamala Harris is a 54-year-old U.S. Senator from California. She is also the former District Attorney of San Francisco and the former Attorney General of California. Harris plans to be a fearless advocate for the voiceless and vulnerable. Harris also believes in speaking your truth and demanding justice. Education and gun laws are also important to Harris’ campaign. Harris is currently polling at 7.7 percent.

Beto O’Rourke is a 46-year-old former U.S. Congressman from Texas. O’Rourke rose to fame after nearly beating out Republican Ted Cruz in the race for Texas senator. O’Rourke is known for his strong stances on gun control and the immigration problem in the United States, which has heavily impacted his home state of Texas. O’Rourke is currently polling at 2.9 percent.

Bernie Sanders is a 77-year old-former U.S. Senator from Vermont. Sanders also ran for president in 2016. Sanders wants to bring free healthcare to all Americans if he is elected president. He also thinks that college should be free and that all student debt should be cancelled. Sanders is currently polling at 17.7 percent.

Elizabeth Warren is a 70-year-old U.S. Senator from Massachusetts and former law school professor at Harvard University. Warren fights for rebuilding the middle class, equal justice under the law, and a foreign policies that works for all Americans. Warren is currently polling at 16 percent.

Lastly, Andrew Yang is a 44-year-old entrepreneur, lawyer, philanthropist, and is the founder of Venture for America, a nonprofit organization that helps create jobs for struggling Americans. Yang’s main plan is called the “Freedom Dividend.” The idea is to give a base income of $1000 a month to every American adult over the age of 18. Yang thinks this would help Americans pay their bills and help educate themselves. Yang is currently polling at 2.1 percent.

Since there are a lot of candidates running for president, there should be a candidate that fits almost any voter. The first presidential primaries will be held in Iowa on February 3rd, 2020; however, the presidential election will not be held until November 3rd, 2020. For any young voters looking to register to vote, click here.