When duty calls

When duty calls

Most of the glory in athletics goes to the athletes, but there are many unsung heroes who keep the Slicers healthy and on the field, courts, and mats.

Abigail Kemiel, La Porte senior, is a student athletic training aide that helps heal Slicers in the fall, winter, and spring sports season under Coach Jason Wulf, head athletic trainer. Kemiel started her athletic training career as a swimming training aide during the winter of 2017. She has been interested in becoming a trainer since she was a little girl.

“My interest in science and medicine started from a young age, especially with my mom being a lab technician at the hospital,” Kemiel said.

Kemiel’s interest as a kid has turned into a passion, one in which she has gained an incredible amount of knowledge about athletic training including medical terminology, Athletic Training Student Aide (ATSA), and CPR. Kemiel also enjoys the fact that she can learn through attending to athletes’ injuries and understanding how to prevent them.

“Abby is a wonderful human being. She honestly cares and works hard about what she does, and on top of that, she is intentive and uses her common sense to figure out problems and solutions,” Wulf said.

Even though she has learned many key aspects that have advanced her knowledge of physical therapy, she feels she still needs to learn how to multitask the main items on her full plate.

Although this is Kemiel’s last year as a student athletic training aide, that has not stopped her from creating and conquering goals. Kemiel wants to improve on skills like her taping skills to her knowledge of medical terminology.

After high school, Kemiel plans on going to one of her top three college choices where she will major in exercise science or pre-physical therapy and also earn her undergraduate degree, which will lead her into getting her doctorate to become a physical therapist.

Even though her athletic training experience is coming to an end, it has been a valuable one to her.

“This experience has changed the way I look into my future career and given me experience that has shaped me into who I am today,” Kemiel said.