Slicer football off to a rocky start

Slicer football off to a rocky start

The Slicers have gotten off to a rough start for their 2019 football season, with back-to-back losses to New Prairie and Penn.

In the season opener, the Slicers faced off against their county rival New Prairie Cougars. The game was in New Prairie’s hands for the beginning of the game until, in the third quarter, a 96 yard kick return touchdown by sophomore running back Colin Bergquist got the Slicers on the board.

“After I scored, all of my teammates were around me. It was pretty exhilarating honestly,” Bergquist said.

After the kick return, the Slicers were only able to score seven more points. The Cougars won the game by a score of 48-14. Junior Jamaal Salary and Bergquist led the Slicers in rushing with 19 yards while junior Robert Kiner led the team with 62 passing yards. Sophomore Brady Bernth led the team in receiving with 62 yards. The defense forced two fumbles, one of which was recovered by Bernth. Senior Matt Neff also recorded a sack.

In the second game of the season, the Slicers played state powerhouse Penn High School. Penn has made the IHSAA State Championship game in two of the past five seasons. The Slicers started off the game well, with a touchdown pass from Kiner to Bergquist. Junior kicker Javier Robles’ kick was blocked on the extra point and after that, Penn took over. Penn went on to score 33 unanswered points en route to a 33-6 Kingsmen win.

“We can’t control what people think,” defensive line coach Bob James. “All we can control is our daily approach to getting better as a team.”

The game ended with Bergquist leading in receiving and rushing with 39 receiving yards and 91 rushing yards. Salary came in second among Slicers runners with 60 yards. Kiner also led the team with 44 passing yards. The defense played well, racking up six tackles for a loss while junior Troy Llewellyn recorded a sack.

The Slicers play Valparaiso in this Friday’s game, where seven starters will be returning in the second quarter from a suspension. Valparaiso is ranked 10th in the state in class 6A.

The game will be held on Friday, September 6th, at 7:00 p.m. in LaPorte.