LaPorte volleyball continues dominant play

Slicer Volleyball is continuing their great play to begin their 2019 season.

The girls are 15-3 overall to begin the year and are 6-1 so far in the DAC. The team is currently ranked 13th in the state, led by stellar play from sophomore Aniya Kennedy. Kennedy is currently 5th in the state with a .471 hit percentage and 4th in the DAC with 144 kills. She is followed by senior Cheyanne Seymour, who is 5th in the DAC with 140 kills. Junior Paige Conklin is 4th in the conference with 265 kills and junior Olivia Voelker is 4th in the conference with 183 digs.

While they have had success on the court so far this year, the team is trying to continue their play through the state tournament. The Slicers lost to Penn in their Sectional game last year, which ended their season. This season the girls are looking forward to improving upon what they achieved last year.

“We don’t just want to win, we want to really put the effort in and be a good team together,” senior Annalise Warnock said.

Although their season has been great, the Slicers did lose three seniors, Kara Cooper, Reilly Briggs, and Gillian Santana, due to graduation last year. Despite losing these experienced volleyball minds, the team is still confident they will play well.

I knew coming in that we had talent to not only compete, but be a top team in the region and state, and I think our play so far has shown our ability and potential,” coach Cassie Holmquest said.

Another challenging aspect of this team is that many of their players are playing new positions this season. Young players are also stepping up as leaders for this overall youthful team. Despite this, the players have adjusted well and continued to play to the best of their ability.

“It is nice to have options, and they all contribute to our success,” Holmquest said.

The girls next home game will be played on Tuesday, October 1 against Michigan City, with JV starting at 5:00. Come out to support the team as they continue in their attempt for another winning season.