Boys tennis wins Regionals following a great season

The LPHS boys tennis team has won their Regional games against Valparaiso (4-1) and South Bend St. Joseph (3-2) after a strong regular season.

“It was by far one of the best days of my life!” senior Tristen Poe said. “I am so happy to be apart of such an unforgettable experience.”

The team finished the regular season with a record of 13-4. There team was strengthened by great play from all four grade levels. Seniors like Poe and Andy Emmons led the team in their final season while freshman Brock Schultz played well in his first season; however, one player seemed to stick out from the rest, junior Alex Ake, who finished with a 14-3 record. Ake also made the transition from playing doubles to singles in the middle of the season, which made his season more difficult.

“I’m extremely proud of Alex Ake,” Coach Don Varda said. “He’s really smart and does his best every time he gets on the court. He’s been great for us.”

Ake has also received high praise from his teammates for his great play.

“I’d have to give a lot of credit to Alex Ake,” said Poe. “He’s really been putting in a lot of effort.”

Other players who stuck out were junior Carson Stalbaum, who had an impressive record of 14-3 with Poe, his doubles partner, and senior Andy Emmons, who had a singles record of 13-4.

The team ended their season with two impressive 5-0 wins against La Lumiere. In their Sectional games, they defeated New Prairie to advance and play Michigan City. They defeated Michigan City 5-0 to win the Sectional Championship. 

After winning their Regional Championship games, the team made their first Semi-State appearance since 1997. However, the team lost to Carmel 5-0. Despite the tough loss to end their season, the team is still proud of their historic season, with many looking forward to doing it again next season.