Creative and kind: Isaac King

Creative and kind: Isaac King

LPHS Senior Isaac King is finishing up his final year in high school in the most arts-centered way.

King has been a strong musician, actor, and writer ever since he stepped foot into LPHS. 

His love for theatre all started as a junior in high school in the LPHS play: Our Town and Wizard of Oz. 

“I was almost replaced since I missed a lot of rehearsals, but I am glad I wasn’t. That ignited another passion of mine: theatre,” King said.

He has spent an overwhelming amount of time in plays since then. His most recent appearance is coming up on November 22nd and 23rd at 7:30 p.m. and November 24th at 2:00p.m. in the show, Frankenstein. King will be playing the Creature, and in addition to that, all of his crazy curls will be getting chopped off for the costume.

King has been a stand out bass clarinetist every year since sixth grade, and he has proudly been a member of the LPHS Wind Ensemble, Pep Band, and La Porte High School Marching Band. 

The band program is what gave King the love for performing, and he has made some of the greatest friends and memories playing in the bands. 

“I wouldn’t be half the person I am without all those things I’ve done! I have a lot of trouble with seeing things through to the end, delivering a finished product if you will,” King said. “Marching band taught me how to do that, and also showed me how cool performing was. If my love for performing was a small fire, the plays were gasoline soaked logs. I learned just how exhilarating it was to go up on stage and be ANYONE!”

King isn’t sure of what his future will bring him, but he plans on slowly purchasing many various instruments. 

“I think that everyone should learn at least one, and shouldn’t only play it in school. Music is a wonderful thing that is too often seen as not wholly important, just some background noise for when you’re doing dishes or whatever,” King said. “If you’ve played a good jazz lick or heard one though and have it strike you as it has to me and millions of others, your mind would be changed.”

Despite his uncertainty for pursuing music, King knows for a fact that he will continue with English in some way. He doesn’t know if he will teach English, write, or just continue his love for reading.

“If I dig into a good book, I mean really get invested in it, I could spend entire days or afternoons trying to see how it ends,” King said.

In addition to reading, King uses his creativity to create thrilling stories.

“I love writing fantasy stories since they’re the easiest to see contrast between ordinary life and life in the story. Magic showcases the difference perfectly,” King said. “You have to think about how life would be different if magic were a factor, how it would be used day to day and then on a higher level, too.”

Even though King doesn’t know what his future holds, LPHS staff and students know he will continue to read, write, and perform like no one is watching–yet, because of his talent, we all are.