LPMB marches at Disney

LPMB marches at Disney

The La Porte High School Marching Band headed down south for an unforgettable trip to Walt Disney World to be in its annual pre-parade march on November 29th.

The band departed for their overnight bus ride on Wednesday, November 27th. They made many stops along the way for lunch and dinner, and the following morning they arrived at their hotel to freshen up for their day at Epcot. 

They were given dining cards for lunch and dinner, and they had the whole day to truly soak up the park in whichever way they wanted.

In the evening at Epcot, there was a firework show to conclude their first day.

Waking up early at 7:15 a.m. the following day, the band had a few hours to explore Magic Kingdom before marching in the pre-parade at 1:30 p.m.

The students were exclusive cast members for the day, going behind the scenes of the park, getting their own dressing rooms, and even getting to wear their own pair of Mickey ears.

Every four years, LPMB has a trip year, where they perform in a Thanksgiving Parade. This year Disney was up. The band students marched the streets around Magic Kingdom, and the Disney crowd cheered them on. 

“Stepping out and performing in front of people from around the world was a once in a lifetime experience, especially with it being some of our last years with the LaPorte Marching Band,” Alyse Ames, senior flute player, said. “Although we were hot and sweaty while marching, it was truly magical to be part of the Disney cast for a day.”

After the band marched, they changed out of their uniforms and headed back out into the park to continue exploring Magic Kingdom.

Visiting Magic Kingdom came to a close for the musicians with a massive firework show. They loaded their buses, headed back to the hotel for the night, and were ready to hit Animal Kingdom the next day.

Animal Kingdom was full of nature and exciting sites to see. The band spent half of the day there, and then around 4:30 p.m., they met up just before heading off to see the Blue Man Group in one of their main locations in Orlando. 

The band shared tons of laughs, good moments, and music at the performance, and this memory will for sure be an unforgettable one for the students.

After departing the concert, the students enjoyed a dinner of pizza with sides with everyone in the band group before finishing the last night in the hotel.

The students ate breakfast and loaded their luggage onto the bus the following morning, December 1st, the last day in Florida. 

The final day consisted of the students and staff venturing off to Hollywood Studios. Despite being exhausted from the weekend, the musicians continued to ride many rides, try new foods, and walk around the park. 

The band gathered their items at the end of the day and prepared to load the bus for another overnight ride back home to Indiana.

The bus ride ended up lasting approximately 22 hours one-way, but LPMB can appreciate the ride because of all of the unforgettable memories made.