Furness makes immediate impact at LPHS

Jessie Furness is leading Slicers to success through coaching and teaching.

Furness dove back when she was in high school at Michigan City, lettering her freshman year and diving on varsity all four years. Furness perfected her lower difficulty dives and frequently had strong scores. She made it to finals at Sectionals every year during high school.

For Furness, diving helped her come out of her shell. 

“When I was in high school, diving really helped me come out of my box, and it helped me open up and be outgoing,” Furness said.

Furness jumped at the chance to get back into the sport when she accepted a job at LPHS and found out there was an opening with Slicer Swim and Dive.

Furness serves as an assistant to head diving coach R.J. Walpole, and they both coach the boys’ and girls’ dive team. The girls’ swim and dive team is currently 6-1, and the boys are 1-3. The divers have been extremely successful and have been in top four every meet.

“Coach Jessie- I couldn’t ask for a better coach. Her dedication to the students is unmatched. I’m glad to have her as a part of our team,” Walpole said.

Furness hopes the divers will learn that even though it might be a competition, they still should try to have fun with it and to not take it too seriously. 

Coaching at LaPorte is special for Furness because of the kids and divers.

“Coaching at LaPorte is special to me because I get to connect with the students even more outside the classroom. I get to see a different side of them, so it makes it special that I get to see that,” Furness said.

Besides coaching at LaPorte, Furness is busy as the Intro to Agriculture and Horticulture teacher and the FFA, Future Farmers of America, co-sponsor. These positions keep her engaged with competitions, field trips, events and more. 

LPHS is fortunate to have Furness in all the roles she plays. The former Michigan City Wolf is officially a Slicer.