Zarantonello commits to IUSB

LPHS senior Olivia Zarantonello has committed to Indiana University-South Bend to continue her softball career.

She chose IUSB out of three she was considering; Ohio Northern and University of Western Florida. 

Zarantonello began playing softball when she was just six years old. She grew up with an older sister who played softball as well.

“I always wanted to be just like her,” Zarantonello said.

Her older sister had a large impact on her life and her softball career. Growing up, she always watched her sister play and saw her game develop. She knew she wanted to step into her sister’s shoes going into high school.

“I even took the jerseys that she wore in high school,” Zarantonello said, “I wanted to wear the same jersey she wore when she won Sectionals and everything.”

Her play has showed why she was deserving of playing after high school. Zarantonello was named All-Conference her junior year as well as a Gold Glove. She also went with her travel team to the Little League World Series her freshman and sophomore year. Her team finished third in the LLWS her sophomore year.

“We played other countries when we did the LLWS in Delaware,” Zarantonello said. “We played Puerto Rico and the Philippines; that was awesome.”

Zarantonello has a deep passion for the game. She loves the feeling of being on the field with her teammates, and of course, the thrill of winning games.

“There’s nothing like it. It doesn’t compare to anything,” Zarantonello said.

Yet again following in the footsteps of her sister, Zarantonello will be majoring in secondary education at IUSB, wanting to become an English teacher.

“I just have a passion for education and just trying to help others,” Zarantonello said.

Whether she is on the field or in the classroom, Zarantonello will make a large impact on her community and those around her.