LPHS overview: FFA

Photo Provided -- A student stands in a field of sunflowers that the majority of the FFA club cared for.

October 20, 2015

LaPorte High School is known for having a diverse group of clubs and classes. In the midst of them all, one club and class stand out from the rest.

Agriculture classes and FFA have had a rise in popularity this year, due to the student involvement and career readiness each offer. Mr. Walker teaches the class and leads the club, his positive attitude and passion for what he teaches drives the success of every student partaking in his knowledge.

“All of my classes share the same importance because they provide my students with training in certain career fields, and it teaches the students how to fend for themselves,” Walker said.

In the Agriculture class, students learn about the world around them. Through the course of the year, the students get hands-on training in learning how to harvest food and produce their own goods. Agriculture offers many training opportunities in farming and growing livestock.

This is my second year in FFA and also my second year as an officer. I have made many friends and countless memories. People assume that FFA is just full of farmers because of what is stands for (Future Farmers of America). In reality it is more than livestock, judging soil, and horse judging. The club is all about life lessons,”

— Brittany Nieto

Last month, the students went and picked the corn that they planted the year before. They used the corn to feed the student body at lunch. Currently, the class is learning about trees, going outside every few days to identify the trees by their scientific, and latin name.

“I really enjoy the class because we get to learn how to get food and natural products. Also, we learn how to conserve the Earth,” Anastasia Kelsey, sophomore, said.

“Learning to do, doing to learn, learning to live, and living to serve” is the FFA Club motto. Not only do the students of FFA claim this as their motto, they enforce it. FFA has turned into a thriving and popular club at the high school. Students from the city and country get together and learn about livestock and harvesting.

The club does a wide range of activities, from soil judging, horse judging, raising livestock, and going out and experiencing nature. Recently, FFA did soil judging and it was a big success, senior Alex Smith, took the title as soil judging champion for this year. The club tries its best to engage their members to the best of their ability; they go canoeing, camping, and plant trees and other plants.

FFA does not just impact our school; it also impacts our community. Last year, the FFA went on a weekend long camping trip, the trip allowed the members to learn how to live outside on their own. They also, hosted a petting zoo and allowed anyone to come see the animals they were showing.

“This is my second year in FFA and also my second year as an officer. I have made many friends and countless memories. People assume that FFA is just full of farmers because of what is stands for (Future Farmers of America). In reality it is more than livestock, judging soil, and horse judging. The club is all about life lessons,” Brittany Nieto, senior, said.

Mr. Walker has positively impacted the lives of many students at LaPorte High School with the career readiness his programs provide. The students are engaged and actually interested in what they are learning about. Walker’s class radiates positive energy and brings his diverse group of students together in a way that no one thought was possible.

The FFA club also hosted a hog roast on Friday, August 21, 2015 before the football game.