Salary wins NAIA Player of the Year

Salary wins NAIA Player of the Year

Former Slicer Charles Salary won the NAIA Player of the Year award after his stronger play this football season.

Salary ranked 2nd in the nation in rushing yards with 1697 and 5th in the nation in touchdowns with 18. This was enough for voters to name him Player of the Year, the first in Marian University history.

“I was truly thankful and blessed to win the award,” Salary said. “I wouldn’t have achieved it without my teammates.”

Alongside his Player of the Year honor, Salary also was given NAIA-AFCA All-America honors. In his career at Marian, Salary had a total of 45 career touchdowns and 4729 rushing yards, with his highest single-season rushing total coming in his senior season. His 4729 rushing yards puts him at second in Marian University history for rushing yards. Knowing it was his final season, Salary played the best football of his college career.

“I wanted to leave it all on the field and have no regrets,” Salary said.

Salary’s spectacular play this year helped lead his team to an appearance in the NAIA National Championship. In the game, Salary had 26 carries for 111 yards in a 38-40 loss to Morningside College.

“I think the biggest impact came from my teammates,” Salary said. “Without my teammates, I wouldn’t have the success I’ve had over the years.”

Salary believes much of his successful football career is due to his coaches, who have helped him hone his talents since the high school level. 

“I have been fortunate to have some great coaches in my lifetime,” Salary said.

Salary has said that, for right now, this is the end of his football career. He has said that he hopes to get an offer to coach somewhere in the near future.

“I feel I am ready to call to call it quits,” Salary said.

For now, Salary would also like to see his brothers, junior Jamaal and sophomore Noah, play for LaPorte High School.

Even if this is the end of Salary’s football career, he will end it leaving a mark on many in his community and in the football world.