Peterson named Student of the Year

Peterson named Student of the Year

LPHS Sophomore Parker Peterson was named a Student of the Year for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society.

The Student of the Year challenge is an event that can be participated in once, and it’s only for high school students.

In order to be involved with the program, the student must be nominated by someone. Peterson was nominated by Kingsbury Elementary School Kindergarten teacher Mrs. Ribordy. 

When Peterson was a young girl, she would always ask for money to donate to the Kent’s Run fundraiser instead of birthday presents. The fundraiser is a Leukemia Lymphoma Society that honors Mrs. Ribordy’s son, Kent who had passed away when he was 16 years old with Leukemia.

Ribordy came across the Student of the Year challenge, and she immediately remembered Peterson’s efforts for Kent’s Run. She asked Peterson if she would be interested, and with that, Peterson was interested.

There are three required events that Peterson had to attend. She had to go to a Fundraising Workshop to be given tips on how to fundraise better, then the kickoff began, which meant the seven weeks of fundraising started, and the grand finale, which was the end of the competition.

As part of the goal, she is challenged to gather a team of 10 people and to go out in the community to try to raise money and get people involved to raise money.

Peterson was accompanied by her mother, Amanda Peterson; kindergarten teacher who nominated her, Mrs. Ribordy; current Public Relations teacher and major inspiration, Miss Parker; freshman and close friend at LPHS, Norah Gartland; her aunt, Cindy Hoehne; sophomore and close friend at LPHS, Jayme Noll; her uncle, Matthew Mrozinski; sophomore and close friend at LPHS, Haleigh Miller; her grandma, “Mimi;” and lastly sophomore and close friend at LPHS, Cole Antrim.

Her end goal is $20,000 and anyone can help by attending Give Back Nights within the coming months. There is a give back night coming up on February 12th at Buffalo Wild Wings, February 25th at Culvers, and March 10th at Enzo’s.

If there is any way the community could be involved in helping Peterson get closer to her goal, any amount is appreciated.